Friday, September 23, 2005

What the hairy heck am I doing here?

(Intrigued? Email me: tromos@mail.com)

I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm supposed to be working. It's a downright miracle that I'm able to get to this site at all through my corporate firewall.

It's all Google's fault. I was trying to look up information on a Christian rock group from Indiana called Grace On Demand and ended up looking at the blog of some user here named XOC. I got sucked into reading through his blog and found myself having way too much in common with this guy (age and world perspective, if nothing else). He claims to be part of the "last true minority: God-Fearing, Gun-Owning, White, American Males" I got a chuckle out of that. Granted I don't own a gun, but only because my wife won't let me. Not that I would shoot anyone with it. To me a fundamental truth of Christianity is respect for life. All life. Born and unborn. Innocent and guilty.

But I'm not here to launch into a monologue on abortion, euthanasia, and capital punishment ... today. Maybe some other time.

So here's my life in a nutshell:
- It's all about Him.
- It's not about me.
- Christian rock has come a long way in the last 15 years and I regularly indulge myself in Christ-focused music that doesn't lull me to sleep or make me gag: Skillet, Kutless, 12 Stones, Day of Fire, Relient K, Seventh Day Slumber, Falling Up, Seven Places, Radial Angel, Subseven, Dakona, Spoken, Disciple, and many others. Now why won't any of these bands come to north-central Indiana??!?!
- Thank God for RadioU.com and cmradio.net.
- Fatherhood is the toughest thing I've ever done. It continues to challenge me every day. God didn't make me an instinctively great father, but He expects me to do it anyway.
- Is anyone still using Apple computers? Why?
- Linux and the open source community are worthwhile ventures and worthy of pursuit - in academia. Like it or not, the real world uses Microsoft so step off that self-righteous open-source-will-save-the-world platform before an airplane takes your head off.
- Geeks rule. But if you have reprogrammed your handheld and your cell phone to run the latest distro of gentoo or you think it's only a matter of time before Opera topples Internet Explorer, then you need to find some real skin-and-bones friends and get a life.
- Star Trek is better than Star Wars.
- Car manufacturers need to stop building the dashboards so far toward the driver. Of the 2005 model cars, trucks, and SUVs made by all of the major auto manufacturers, I fit in less than a dozen models.
- People shorter than 5'10" have no right to sit in the Emergency Exit row of an aircraft - especially if the flight includes someone over 6'4" who is crammed in a regular seat. I already stated I'd never shoot anyone, but these people sure tempt me.
- The Wheel of Time PC game is the greatest FPS ever. Too bad Infogrames screwed the developers and Atari continues to screw the user community.

Wow. I think I've used up all of my blog topics for the next month. How stupid was that?

No comments: